(keitai-l) Re: Communities not allowed

From: Beau Buck <beau_at_modezilla.com>
Date: 02/14/01
Here is my understanding.  DoCoMo's perception of their responsibility and
obligation to their customers is such that they must control content for the
masses to make sure they steer way clear of anything remotely offensive.
They have longstanding relationships with many of their customers don't
forget.  Since the character of 'communities' draw from their community
members, they are inherently not controllable, and DoCoMo has no incentive
to assume the risk that that content could present (sex, gambling, violence,
who knows what!!!???).  Keep in mind many subscribers are 40-ish, but they
are subscribing on behalf of their children, the users (who cannot subscribe
due to their age).  Upholding a strict standard is DoCoMo's social
obligation and the Japanese populace reacts favorably to that..

Beau
Modezilla