(keitai-l) Re: Communities not allowed

From: Stuart MacDonald <stuart_at_fs.catv.ne.jp>
Date: 02/14/01
Thoughts to ponder.

Docomo is part of NTT. Docomo has this strong social responsibility  -
according to your understanding. Can we presume that NTT also has a strong
social responsibility?

It may not be fair but let's draw a comparison between NTT's customers
running terekura (telephone clubs used for eliciting paid dating services)
and Docomo's control over allowing *potentially* "offensive" community
sites. Why are these two examples so divergent? I believe NTT sees their
social responsibility to keep the networks up and running. While Docomo sees
their responsibility in upholding their brand as being "fun and good" - and
oh, workable for business applications too!

To enable this, Docomo has taken a public standpoint of having a
responsibility to be our moral overseers of what content is right for
everyone.  By controling the content they control the brand. If they were
not as concerned about brand as myself and some others have mentioned in the
last coupele of posts believe they could have implemented a simple access
scheme for which personal device (phone) can access what site. At least
national censorship services offer a rating to movies instead of outrightly
saying "no" due to something being potentially "offensive".

Who does the current system protect? Us or Docomo?

-stuart
p.s. does anyone know of any mottos Docomo/i-mode as a group/brand might
follow? Just curious........