(keitai-l) Re: billing and packet charges

From: Eijkemans, Paul <Paul.Eijkemans_at_ben.nl>
Date: 02/15/01
European operators will pretty much leverage on what is already there in
their WAP portals. Because of the packet-switched nature of GPRS and it's
higher throughput new applications (that would be too costly on circuit-
switched) will be launched.

The reason for targetting GPRS at the business users first is driven by the
fact that handets will probably be quite expensive at first.
Eventually, when GPRS handsets become cheaper with enough fancyness to
attract the average Joe, it will catch on in the consumer market (with
all it's problems of marketing something like 'packet-switched').
Realize that handset fancyness is just as important in Europe as it is in
other area's of the world!

Business applications will be an important market, the consumer market will,
however, be far bigger than that. 'Fun' already runs the show on mobiles
in Europe: chat SMS, ringtones, picture messaging, etc., are doing great!
Not as fancy as in Japan (Western handset manufacturing problem) but still
in essence quite the same.

And yes, we are testing our GPRS extensions to the network with all kinds of

applications, not only business applications. The uneasiness at some network
operators to test it with 'fun'-applications has probably to do with the
distance some have to their prime target customer.

Think The Customer.

Best regards,
Paul

The above does not necessarily reflect the the opinion of my employer.