(keitai-l) DoCoMo MAGIC vision Re: billing and packet charges

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_X-9.com>
Date: 02/16/01
> Just like AOL, imode is trying to give its newbie users an easy to use
> interface and high quality contents. Once the users become
> educated, which
> may take longer on imode, due to the ease with which people can access
> official sites, and lack of mobile ISP competition, people will hopefuly
> migrate to unofficial sites. Alternative site payment systems may also
> help.

Yesterday I attended a DoCoMo MAGIC briefing/seminar at which DoCoMo laid
out strategy that clearly goes beyond the i-menu and perhaps what we
consider to be the "typical" i-mode user.

Apart from some very slick video of a 2010 world with everyone using
semi-transparent DoCoMo devices, their 'MAGIC' vision seriously pushes
i-mode as an ASP business platform. What was interesting is the showcased
ASPs all use subscription models which operate outside i-menu. DoCoMo was
interested in packet charges they receive from ASP clients not any cut from
subscriptions.

After the seminar attendees all received a present in the form of <pause for
effect> a telephone card ;)

Kyle

X-9 DESIGN LAB
http://www.X-9.com