(keitai-l) Re: to emoji or not to emoji

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 02/16/01
Eric Hildum wrote:

> >> The  "tel" tag and accesskey stuff may well be an extension of a
> >> standard, but surely emoji are more akin to an extension to a font set
> >> rather than a tag extension as such...
> >>
> >> As such, is the "internet standards" issue really relevant?
> >
> > It's more a character set issue (*) than a font set issue, and that
> > is one thing that makes it more complicated. We predict a wider use
> > of sending emails between computers and phones in Europe and the US
> > than what is currently done in Japan, and then the emoji is a bit of
> > a problem. But as marketing tool with viral effects, like Nokia's
> > image SMS etc., they may probably be quite interesting as a weapon
> > against SMS.
> >
> > /gustaf
> >
> > * since it is not part of either ShiftJIS 6879 or any of the western
> > ISO 8859 character sets which is part of teh MIME standard, I do see
> > this as a fairly heavy standard issue.
>
> I agree this is a potentially serious problem. We already see issues
> with Micrsoft's non-standard "ISO-8859" character set.

Recent versions of their software now seem to differentiate between
standard character encodings and the Microsoft variants, e.g. in Outlook
ISO 8859-1 is "Western European (ISO)" and charset=iso-8859-1 whereas
CP 1252 is "Western European (Windows)" and charset=windows-1252.

The Shift-JIS encoding is a Microsoft invention (first used in MS-DOS)
which actually allows for extension with such things as emoji rather
than reserving all the codes that it doesn't define meanings for.  But
these extensions are obviously not meant for use in text that is to be
interchanged.  An extended Shift-JIS that is to be used in messages on
the Internet should be registered as a new character encoding.

--
I do not speak for Roundpoint; any opinions I express are my own.