(keitai-l) battery life with packet use

From: Marc Bolick <mbolick_at_ft2001.rsm.nl>
Date: 02/19/01
I'm wondering if anyone can give me an indication of typical battery use
characteristics when using a packet-based service. I am working for a
nascent startup in Europe working on delivering content (first in form of
audio, then text and images - maybe one day video??) that would take about
45 minutes of total "airtime" on a circuit switched system.

We are currently working out how much data we would be streaming per
"segment" of content. Can anyone give me an estimate of battery power
consumption per packet, or can someone suggest a way we can determine the
drain on a battery (mah/packet or mah/bit??) for a 45 minute continuous data
transmission (in the first case, audio). I assume it depends on the make of
the i-mode handset and must be similar to a regular voice call.

Thanks,
Marc Bolick
MobiQuis B.V.