(keitai-l) Silly TV commercials (was Most People Can Live Without Wireless Web)

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 02/24/01
Ron Berg wrote:

> Actually, having seen the commercial, what I remember is even more
> complicated.  The man gets a reminder on his mobile calendar about his
> anniversary.  He accesses local directory information to find a local
> florist, orders the flowers by clicking on the screen, gets a voice call
> from the florist to confirm, and then pays via smartcard.   The picture is
> too rosy (so to speak), but I thought it was supposed to be futuristic -
> "imagine how you could use your phone" rather than "buy flowers now."
> Certainly, no more ridiculous than the TV commercial here in the U.S.
> showing a rural entrepreneur using B2B e-commerce to make a sale
> to a total stranger in Japan.

Or Motorola's commercial in the UK showing someone in a jungle (one of
those jungles with excellent network coverage, you understand) using his
phone to identify the snake that is slithering up his leg (presumably
from descriptions in the 3 lines of text you can see on a P7389).

Or Vodafone's commercial on TV and the big screen showing a miniature
car chase along a bar to demonstrate what it's like for the man at the
bar to be able to get film reviews on his phone (did someone sneak
video clip support onto WAP phones while I wasn't looking?).

Or Nokia's commercial showing the host of a party finding a shop at
which to buy replacements for his loudspeakers after they break (since
he has no Yellow Pages in his house, and doesn't know the numbers for
Talking Pages or Scoot, and of course hi-fi shops really are open late
at night).

--
I do not speak for Roundpoint; any opinions I express are my own.