(keitai-l) Eu Vs Japanese CARRIERS was: Ericsson's new phone - with colour display

From: JAPON.NET <web_at_japon.net>
Date: 03/23/01
on 01.3.22 8:24 PM, Victor Pikula at victor@pikula.com wrote:
(...)
> http://www.phone.com/news/Archive1998/021798_SIEMENS.html
>
> But the point here is: I do think all manufacturers in Europe would be *able*
> to produce colour display WAP phones. Siemens probably abandoned producing
> colour screen WAP phones because there are no specifications on how to support
> colour display capabilities within the WAP standard. The WAP forum should come
> up with the exact specifications on how to integrate colour display
> capabilities with content provision. That is why in Japan we see mobile
> internet services and handsets that support colour pictures in all three cases
> (i-mode, J-Sky and EZweb) and none in Europe. Japanese operators set these
> standards.

Yeap, operators will have to take a stronger lead in ALL aspects of their
business, including terminals. To be successful beyond SMS they must improve
their relation with content and terminal makers. The terminals can be
exported from Japan so that should be an advantage for DoCoMo-related
carriers, contents is a different story.

Which European carrier has a good relationship with contents providers? Not
with ONE or TWO, but in general. I hear that while DoCoMo charges 9% of
sales (ie. 18 yen out of a 200 monthly bill for Bandai) some carriers in the
old continent are shooting for much much much higher?

Vincent J. Luna, Director
--
JAPON.NET llc.: Making Your Company Visible in Japan
web_at_japon.net   http://www.japon.net/web/

iMode Eye: Independent Source on Japan's mBiz
http://www.japon.net/imode/