(keitai-l) Re: J@pan Inc Wireless Watch newsletter

From: Henry Minsky <hqm_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: 04/09/01

>In the U.S., charging more to leave the Garden - or at least
>*saying* that you are going to - might be a realistic response
>to the irrational-exuberance hangover.  Content that is not
>under AT&T Wireless control is, after all, a guaranteed
>source of network infrastructure costs and business-model
>competition (and, in the more litigious U.S., legal liability),
>without being a proven profit machine there just yet.

I have a question about NTT's billing arrangements with their "official"
providers. Is there any official or unofficial "kickback" whereby
an i-mode site which serves a lot of traffic gets some money
from NTT, who is just raking in the per-packet charges? It seems like
on the one hand, NTT would like to encourage providers who send large
image-intensive content to customers, and might have an incentive for
that, and on the other hand, in a big-corporation kind of way they would
never think of sharing any of that revenue if they weren't forced to
by some competition (i.e., J-PHONE starts doing it).