(keitai-l) how popular are i-applis?

From: rolf van widenfelt <rolf_at_pizzicato.com>
Date: 04/09/01
the article below seems to criticize java on i-mode.

anyone here have a sense for how successful i-applis are?
i know it has only been out for a few months and that most people's phones
don't support it yet, but any sense of an early trend?

-rolf

ps:
from an article titled "New U.S. Cell Phone Building Block for Mobile Web":
> Ken Dulaney, mobile computing analyst at research firm Gartner, Inc., pointed to Japan's
>    experiment with Java on i-mode.
>
>    ``I don't think there is a lot of programming going on. They are suffering from what
>    everyone else is. They don't have a lot of horsepower in these phones,'' he said.

full article:
  http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010408/tc/telecoms_java_dc_1.html