(keitai-l) Re: i-mode client strips header data?

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 05/04/01
Daniel Scuka wrote:
> The DoCoMo tech bulletin I have states that the (client-side) "ALP
> (Application Layer Protocol) strips out HTTP header, which is not
> necessary
> for the service." Yet I've seen plenty of posts here discussing how to
> obtian header variables. Has this aspect of i-mode changed since launch?
> Does i-mode only strip some header data, buit not all?

The quoted statement is misleading.  The gateway has to speak HTTP
to get pages from standard web servers.  But internally, i-mode is
using ALP (which is probably a lot simpler) instead of HTTP, and
the gateway translates between the two protocols.  So it's true
that phones never send or receive HTTP headers, but if you're
working on server-side applications you don't need to worry about
that.  (This might, however, affect people trying to send specific
HTTP header fields in i-appli.  I don't know; I've not looked at
that.)