(keitai-l) Re: J-phone header info

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 05/07/01
Paul Lester wrote:
> Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> > Ron Schei wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > > Here's a list of the environment variables being passed by
> > > J-PHONEs these days.
> >
> > The whole world isn't using CGI, or proxies.  Let's skip the
> > environment variables and go straight to the header fields, which
> > any HTTP server will use:
> >
> > <snip>
> > > Accept: */*
> >
> > Ack, this is bogus.  It means the gateway claims it can use any
> > media type, when in reality the phone is limited to text/html and
> > some image format(s).
> >

> hMM.
> I use a JPE-03 for testing too.  In fact J-sky DOES "seem" to "accept"
> all media types!  If it doesn't like one, it gives a can't
> display message.
> (And it gives a horrid beep.... BTW so do other J phones)
> The phone even refuses some media types I'd expect it would accept
> like a mmf file.  It likes the .smd extension instead.  Weird!
>
> (Thats what all the SMAF stuff is about in the headers)
>
> Well the crux is, J Phones accept sound, image and text formats.
> By images this can mean all sorts of stuff.

Then the gateway should send an Accept field containing something like
"text/html, image/gif, image/*, text/plain, audio/vnd.j-phone.ring-tone"

> It tries to download an unknown extension but always refuses it
> at the very end.

Extensions aren't media types.  It's up to the web server to determine
the media type of the entities it serves; if they are taken from a file
then any extension in the file's name might be used to determine that.
A Mac web server would probably would use other file metadata.  For
dynamically-generated pages the program that generates them specifies
the type.

Of course you could write a web client or gateway that ignored
declared media types and looked for extensions instead.  But that
would be idiotic.  Oh, that's what J-Phone appears to do for ring
tones...

> So you actually might be right.  Like I can't imagine the J-Phone
> accepting a fried chicken, but it might gobble up a cgi script.

CGI is purely a server-side technology.  Of course a server could serve
up the source of CGI programs and they might even be displayable if
given a media type such as text/plain.

--
I do not speak for Roundpoint; any opinions I express are my own.