(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone

From: Paul Lester <paul.lester_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 05/23/01
At least comparing their Java and Sound Formats.

    DoCoMo's has a lot less features (Java and Sound Format) but is really really
easy to program (at least the sound format is).

    J-Phone has tons of features in both.  As for the Sound
Formats, they are difficult to get to work right.  They added
so many features in the Sound Formats that there are many
seeming bugs as well and inconsistences.

    In the end, DoCoMo thus usually comes out first and also
better, and so J-Phone uses their more features and lower prices
to compete.

    This is outlandishly general, and I have left off the manufactures
like Mitubishi, NEC, Panasonic, etc which add on another layer
of complexity (the ones who make the keitais themselves).

    Don't forget about (AU-KDDI-TuKa with EZweb).

Benedict Evans wrote:

> I sometimes get the idea from this list that J-Phone is a bit more
> innovative than DoCoMo - or at least faster-moving. Is this an accurate
> impression?
>
> Obviously DoCoMo invented i-mode (except McKinsey blah blah blah...) But do
> the people living in Japan on this list see J-Phone as the young and hungry
> ones coming up with all the cool ideas? Or have I got the wrong end of the
> stick?

*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=
Paul Bryan Lester
LincMEDIA Inc
Layer-8 Technologies Inc
QA ENGINEER/Programmer etc etc