(keitai-l) Re: SMS for ringing tones, screen savers and images

From: Jonas Petersson <Jonas.Petersson_at_adcore.com>
Date: 06/01/01
Victor Pikula wrote:
> Mika wrote:
> "Usually it works by sending a SMS with keyword like "LOGO FOOBAR"
> to a content providers number and you'll get logo back."
>
> True, this is another way, one that does not work with all network providers
> though. There seem to be more limitations to this, besides the price still
> being too high (round Euro 0.75). Zed in the Netherlands offers this for KPN
> and Libertel customers only... The "euroversal" SMS network system is
> apparently not open in that case (send SMS with a label  --> receive SMS
> picture/tone/news or other service). A closed SMS garden, perhaps? This
> shuts potential users out immediately. Similar services on offer in Japan
> also differ by network operator, but at least there you have a portal on the
> phone to choose from.

Yes, I'm in discussion with Swedish Telia about this as we speak. The
story goes:

About two years ago I took an old phone (Nokia 3110) and a PCMCIA card
along with a broken laptop (dead battery), installed Linux and wrapped
up a simple SMS server using an inhouse tool. The user sends a message
like described above which will trigger one of serveral shell scripts
that typically returns a result (vcard/vcal/plain/whatever - got specs
for logos/music, but never got around to implementing) within 15s or so.
Has worked fine from any kind of GSM network around the world ever
since.

Drawback: The actual phone limits the traffic to ~4-6 requests per
minute. So I started looking to going straight for the SMSC - "Sure no
problem" says Telia, you will get a four digit number to use that *ONLY*
Telia users can use "and we have a deal with two more nordic operators
to get the same from them". This really s*cks! To get better throughput
I suddenly need to severly limit my users?!?

I might just buy a batch of old 3110 phones instead...

			/ Jonas
--
Jonas Petersson             E-mail: mailto:Jonas.Petersson@adcore.com
Web: http://www.adcore.com/ Tel: 011-244800    Fax: 011-244809