(keitai-l) Re: SVG == Scaleable Vector Graphics

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 06/12/01
Henry Minsky wrote:
<snip>
> There is a standard gnu-zip format for compressing SVG files,
> but I dont know if that is as optimal as some kind of binary
> standard (which would kind of defeat one of the selling points
> of SVG, it's easy to debug as XML text).
<snip>

No it doesn't, since the compression is optional and it's trivial to
convert between compressed and uncompressed forms.  There are actually
two things you can do here - compress the original files, in which
case the server says that they have a 'content-encoding' of gzip or
whatever, or have the server compress them on demand ('transfer-
encoding') for user-agents that say when making a request that they
support that.  In the latter case it's completely transparent to
content authors.