(keitai-l) "Any interest in JavaHz mailing list translations?" Answer: "YES!"

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 06/12/01
Thanks for the support - I've seen about 10 votes
now, enough for me to put in the extra effort to inform
people of my progress.

My main translation issues are as follows:

1.  Sounding like Dilbert's boss doing techno-babble

     In most technical translation, knowledge of the
     technology is more important than knowledge of the
     source language.  Since I'm translating, in part, to learn
     the technology, I'm slightly hobbled - I'm a seasoned
     programmer, but have no professional experience with
     Java, the iAppli API, nor even very much on the web side.

2.  "Being a machine translation program means never having
     to say you're sorry."

     This isn't just dry, anonymous technical translation - JavaHz is
     also conversation.  The other day, for example, I discovered
     that I had translated something like

        "DoCoMo went to some lengths here - they must have
        had some idea in mind, I'm sure."

     as, instead,

        "What was DoCoMo thinking here?!"

     Now, just imagine that you were the one losing out in
     that translation.  There is a risk/reward trade-off here, and my
     translation skills being what they are pushes that trade-off curve
     toward higher risk and lower reward.

In sum: take it all with a grain of salt, and if you know better about
something, tell me, so I can fix it quickly.  In a few days (or sooner)
I'll post what I have so far.

Regards,
Michael Turner
leap@gol.com

P.S. I'll stop signing off as "-m"; it reeks of  pretensions to
 being a sardonic, small-time, 60s-era pulp-novel spymaster.
 Also, I've recently gotten e-mail addressing me as "Juergen",
 and even a couple messages from someone who has confused
 me with Henry Minsky -- I've never even met Henry, much less
 impersonated him. Clearly, it's time to start emphasizing my real
 identity (whatever that is.)