(keitai-l) Re: docomo and spam

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 06/20/01
Actually, I've seen "ads" up in trains for a while now --
NTT explaining in detail to users how to fend off spam
on i-mode.

I'm a bit behind on spam filtering (helped draft a related
patent once, but that was years ago).  However, it seems
to me that DoCoMo suffers from far fewer of both the
technical and political barriers to doing spam-filtering
well, just by being so centralized.  At this point, nevertheless,
it might make more business sense for DoCoMo to shift the
burden onto AOL Japan.  After all, if NTT gets low-cost
revenue from every i-mode AOL sign-up (which I assume
they do), they actually have a slight vested interest in i-mode
spam (beyond the current, infuriating, extra packet charges,
which they can only milk so much longer before some
LDP "reformer" takes the issue up.)

On a related question: these spammers are mostly
generating random keitai phone numbers, and hitting
targets pretty easily because DoCoMo numbers,
being 8 digits in a potentially 9-digit market, are not
sparsely distributed.  I.e., a random 8 digit number
has a good chance of being somebody's keitai.
Not that many people have gone over to named
e-mail accounts at DoCoMo.

i-mode is at, what, 60 million and counting?  What
are they going to do if/when the odometer turns over
from customer #99,999,999?

(I only worry about this stuff 'cuz my last bottom-feeder
software job ended over a criminally-stupid Y2K overtime
play.  Call it Post-Millenium Stress Disorder)

-michael turner
leap@gol.com