(keitai-l) Re: train manners...

From: Paul Bryan Lester <pbl1_at_livedoor.com>
Date: 07/01/01
The question is should not be :
How dangerous DO WE think keitais are to pacemakers on trains?
BUT
How dangerous ARE keitais to pacemakers on trains?

Also we should ask ourselves, HOW DANGEROUS ARE KEITAIS
TO HUMAN'S ears?????  Has a medical study finally showed that
they are NOT a cause of cancer yet.  I heard a few years ago
a study that said they might be.  I personally try to use
my headphones when I can.

---

Hmmm.  I've met a few people who feel the same way
about talking loudly being impolite.
It seems many people not from NYC have this strange
culturally induced perception that talking loudly is
impolite when in fact it is the only way to hear another
person and avoid miscommunication.  And miscommunication
leads to wars, literally.

    When people talk it is necessary to talk loudly, especially
on trains.  And I don't mean with keitai.  Not talking loudly is
a thing I personally consider very bad manners.  One must
talk loud and clear to be understood.

    Japanese "manners" as well as any manners as you can see
vary for very very good reasons.

    Its easy to think or read a book, or even sleep during a loud
conversation, if you have grown up in NYC.

> It's not just "talking in public" but, often as not, "talking loudly in
> public."
> I get annoyed at loud conversations on trains, and for some reason,
> many people raise their voices when they talk on keitai.  My sense of
> the "no keitai on trains" rules here is that they are kind of like the
> "no parking" rules -- a pretext for cracking down on particularly
> egregious offenders, but otherwise relatively toothless.
>
> -michael turner
> leap@gol.com

-Paul Lester
pbl1@cornell.edu
http://members.tripod.com/~pbl1/

"Don't Forget to Try in Mind"
      "May the Force be with you"
              "Ketchup is Good"
-"Ketchup, natto and kimchee, that`s what Wogis are made of"