(keitai-l) Re: train manners...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/02/01
On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Paul Bryan Lester wrote:

> How dangerous DO WE think keitais are to pacemakers on trains?
> BUT
> How dangerous ARE keitais to pacemakers on trains?

Well, the whole issue does not seem very rationally thought out to
me. The signs I've seen never tell you to turn your phone off, which is
what you need to do to avoid the transmitter activiting. (Otherwise the
transmitter will activate whenever you receive a phone call or e-mail.)
And there are no such prohibitions against using one's keitai in other
areas that are just as crowded, such as many areas in Shibuya station
or Hachiko crossing just outside.

> Also we should ask ourselves, HOW DANGEROUS ARE KEITAIS
> TO HUMAN'S ears?????  Has a medical study finally showed that
> they are NOT a cause of cancer yet.

Yes. It directly contradicts the studies that show that they are a cause
of cancer. None of the studies I've heard about, regardless of result,
seem to have provided terribly conclusive proof one way or the other,
however.

> It seems many people not from NYC have this strange
> culturally induced perception that talking loudly is
> impolite....

I just moved here three months ago from New York, and plenty of people
living there think that talking too loudly for a given situation
(i.e., such that your voice is overriding other people's conversations)
is impolite.  People talk much more loudly on trains there than in Tokyo
because the trains are much louder. But I've not generally found that they
were talking loudly enough to disturb others around them. (New York, BTW,
has an undeserved reputation for rudeness. People there may be brusque,
but I'd far rather ask someone for directions in New York than any other
large western city.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws
of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.
                                             --Dave Barry