(keitai-l) M-Stage impressions

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: 07/12/01
Just watched the trailer for Planet of the Apes streaming on my P2101V.
The video was 2 minutes 15 seconds long. A bit dark, but contrast is
adjustable. Sound was good, though the speaker gets a bit tinny at high
volume. The stream didn't stutter at all -- felt like a solid 64k the
whole time.

I'm assuming it's because it's only a trial, but getting into M-Stage
was a pain:
Click on M-Stage on the i-menu, click enter or enter channel # directly
from M-Stage top page, enter name and password (a complicated mix of
numbers and letters, tough to input) and then navigate to and select
video.
Channels include movie previews, news, sports, and weather.

I initially didn't have a username and password so I had to go to the
handset's Network settings, select Mopera -> quick start settings,
connect to M-Stage, and get assigned a username and password. Again I'm
assuming this is b/c it's a test trial and real service will be easier
to use.

Now, the interesting part is M-Stage is actually a CIRCUIT connection
directly to the Mopera network! So much for packet-switched 3G! The
handset dials *9603 to initiate a 64k circuit connection to the Mopera
network.

Also, once the stream is done, I ended up back at the main M-Stage top
page, so I had to re-enter login and password to get back into the
channels.

The handset then promptly crashed, requiring a poweroff, battery remove,
battery insert, power on.

But watching a Planet of The Apes trailer on my cellphone was pretty
damn cool.

r e n