(keitai-l) Re: does anyone know how many Java-enabled phones have been sold in Japan?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/12/01
Michael,

I am sorry if I sound pedantic, but I don't agree with your logic,
and I think your number is wrong (the arithmetics is ok, but the
logic is wrong):

Your calculation needs to be like this:

(4260 - x)/(25269 - 19500) = y = Percentage of _new_ subscr.
choosing i-appli rather than non-i-appli imode handsets

where x = # of existing DoCoMo subscribers exchanging their
non-JAVA phone to a JAVA-phone

Since probably only DoCoMo knows x, I'll make a guess. Let's assume
that 1/3 of the JAVA users are new subscribers, then your number y is
more like 25%.

The reason for my argument is that those people getting a JAVA phone
now are likely to be kind of people who got an imode phone early on,
while new subscribers now, are more likely to be newbies, who maybe
have a tendency to get a non-JAVA phone (you'll need to make a correction
to this argument for those who switch from AU/J-Phone to DoCoMo to get
JAVA a few weeks earlier, or from H to get a JAVA phone at all).

Best regards,

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/