(keitai-l) Re: does anyone know how many Java-enabled phones have been so

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/13/01
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Michael Turner wrote:

> Or Xemacs, and it won't even have to run on the phone per se,
> after I get my telnet iAppli running.....

You mean ssh iAppli, don't you? (In fact, there is a pure Java ssh client,
though I don't know if it will fit in 10k. It'd probably be more useful
on a TRG Palm clone with one of those CF docomo cards, anyway.)

But you're going to have to do it that way, I would think. Running
Emacs on a phone? Whatcha gonna do, put in a little hard drive for it
to swap to? :-)

> If in fact the phone is a new platform, it will probably do what
> platforms have done -- drop to a certain price plateau, even while
> features, capacity and bugs :-(  continue to grow exponentially....

Speaking of bugs, did anybody else read the "Hard Cell" article on page
24 of the July 2001 J@pan.Inc? ("Japan's cellphone giants are about to
take over the world, right? Wrong. Here's why....")

Their thesis is that, while Japan's cellphone software is far more
advanced than anything else in the world, the recent recalls and so
on indicate that the Japanese can't do software well, and so foreign
companies will prefer other phones.

The odd thing here is that:

    1.	They admit that "sofware is hard."

    2.	Nobody else is doing phones with anywhere near the sophistication
	of the Japanese ones.

    3.	Software from other countries running on computers is buggy as
	hell and crashes all the time. (Microsoft's infamouse "blue
	screen" gets singled out several times in the article.)

Yet, with all of this, the whole article runs on the premise that
non-Japanese manufacturers are somehow going to produce relatively
bug-free phones when they start doing them. I don't see anything to
support this.

I oughtta write a letter.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws
of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.
                                             --Dave Barry