(keitai-l) Text a Cab in Dublin

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/16/01
It looks like we're starting to see some interesting location services
appear. Here's a cab company in Dublin where you send them an SMS message,
they figure out (presumably somewhat approximately) where you are,
and come get you.

I've also heard from people working on "meet me here" applications,
where you could find a pub and then send a message to your friends that
would automatically tell them where you are.

I myself wouldn't mind, for those long nights of bar-crawls, having a
little web server on my phone that my friends could access to figure out
where the heck I am. Unfortunately, being in Shibuya, it would not only
need to be accurate within less than five meters, but would also need
to be able to figure out which floor I'm on. (It's quite common here
to have four to eight restaurants/bars/clubs on the various floors of
a single small building.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws
of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.
                                             --Dave Barry