(keitai-l) Re: EZweb-> i-mode -> user_agents? Re: iappli download for emulator without docomo email address

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 07/17/01
At 11:32 2001-07-16, you wrote:
>EZWeb sends the Openwave HTTP headers that phones send to WML/HDML sites
>with a user agent that goes something like "UP.Browser/3.04-SY12
>UP.Link/3.4.4".
>
>With i-modes global expansion and Openwave's full hybrid
>HDML/WML/i-mode/XHTML browsers appearing in EZWeb phones later this year, it
>is starting to get messy detecting the appropriate content to deliver to
>wireless devices.
>
>The weakness of DoCoMo's i-mode detection architecture with HTTP accepts
>that do not distinguish from wired HTML and phones specs that require
>manually checking back with DoCoMo's Web site becomes apparent when compared
>with Openwave's inclusion of phone specs, user ID and session management in
>the HTTP headers. Hopefully implementations of i-mode outside Japan will not
>suffer the same lack of foresight.

We are looking into that just now... So is DoCoMo. We try to do it as
compatible as possible with IETF/W3C standards, but they are not always
suitable for wireless use. There is also the issue of privacy, which is not
so easy to handle.

Is there is nice spec somewhere for how OpenWave does it, especially the
userID part? How do you see that OpenWave's phone specs are better?

/gustaf

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.jp | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747