(keitai-l) Re: The x-sjis conspiracy...

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/17/01
On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Juergen Specht wrote:

> WRONG: <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=x-sjis">
> RIGHT: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS">

In fact, the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (the same guys who
assign protocol numbers, IP addresses, the whole bit) have assignments
for charcter set names, as well. If you use a character set name anywhere
on the Internet, you should use their standard name:

    http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets

(As an aside, this document sets the standard character set encoding
names for Java, as well.)

> Maybe some people wonder why they need this meta-tag, if the
> handset defaults anyway to Shift_JIS...

Hello! Hey! Me! <Wave, wave> I need it!

And on every web page, too; not just i-mode pages.

First of all, it gets rid of that irritation of having go up to the menu
bar and do a "View / Character Set / ..." to read Japanese pages.

More importantly (and we're back to the spider again), it makes life
much easier for those of us who write spidering code. If you don't put
that tag in there, we have to guess at the character set, and we don't
always guess right. If we don't guess right, your page gets read and
indexed incorrectly.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws
of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.
                                             --Dave Barry