(keitai-l) The x-sjis conspiracy...

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 07/17/01
Guys,

while checking around I wondered why I found
this meta-tag quite often at english i-mode sites:

WRONG: <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=x-sjis">

Basically, this one is plain WRONG. If a Japanese handset
sees this meta tag, it simply ignores it and defaults to the
default, which is "Shift_JIS". So the right meta-tag must be:

RIGHT: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=Shift_JIS">

Why is this? Who ever was involved into language encodings,
know that this is a very complicated topic:
http://rf.net/~james/Japanese_Encodings.txt

Above some people complain about Shift_JIS, but this was a
decision of DoCoMo and works well for their needs:
http://www.nttdocomo.com/i/tag/meta.html

Maybe some people wonder why they need this meta-tag, if the
handset defaults anyway to Shift_JIS...simply for well
formed HTML and for future compatibility with new browsers
for the possible european and US based i-mode services (if
they ever will start). If this validator does not complain:
http://validator.w3.org/
you have good and valid HTML.

Who uses the wrong meta-tag? For example official i-mode
sites about tokyos nightlife, restaurant information, link
selections, i-mode portal sites, company sites from handset
makers, learning English sites and so on. Since most of the
webmasters of these sites are subscribed members of this
list, they can check by themself.

But I was curious about the origin of this meta-tag and
found out that this is used by default with Adobe GoLive:
http://www.adobe.com/products/golive/

(A sidenote: Adobe makes great products, but this site does not
even work with Mozilla/Netscape6.1...so much for their knowledge
about HTML.)

Mhm, GoLive reminded me about something...and thanks to the
archives of this list, I found this:
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2000-12/0238.html

Seems that somebody will pour a beer over my head the next
time he sees me :)

Enjoy your search & replace session!

Juergen
--