(keitai-l) Re: i-motion Mpeg3

From: <portals_at_onebox.com>
Date: 07/18/01
The standard for streaming may be MPEG4, but for wireless it won't work for a
long time.
First of, MPEG4 needs a sweetspot of 375k bandwidth, and such wireless Networks
won't be around for a while.
And when they finally arrive in spotty service areas, then you still would not
be guaranteed a clear signal, because you would be mobile and bouncing in and
out of 64k to 375k areas all the time.
-
Second, MPEG4 needs a huge processor to render the Video back from the pipe and
only PDA's have such a powerful processor. (over 100 to 200 Mhz.)
So mobile phones (20 to 40Mhz.) won't be able to display MPEG4 for a long time.
-
And who wants to run around with a big, clunky PDA and talk into it?
-
Only Samsung especially makes a Phone with a accelerator chip, that is able to
"help" the Phone CPU and display some MPEG4 Video.
-
But how many people are going to buy only Samsung Phones because of this functionality?
-
So, MPEG4 is a unreasonable bet for wireless.
-
The winners in mobile Video are today:
PV for Video in PDA's
Emblaze for Video in Samsung Phones
Hellonetwork for Video in Java powered devices.
-
A mix of all these solutions will ultimately be successful for consumers.
The requirements are too diverse for just -one- company to solve and deliver.
Smart companies, such as KDDI, DoCoMo and J-Phone work with all these providers
and will build a solution that makes sense.
-

Christian Morgenstern
Chief Scientist
WAP Forum.co.uk