(keitai-l) Re: complaints about Japanese phones

From: Henry Minsky <hqm_at_ai.mit.edu>
Date: 07/18/01
At 05:05 PM 7/17/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Could anyone speculate about the major complaints people have concerning
>the new phones and phone service in Japan? The applications seem really
>cool but, I was wondering what problems people encountered. Thanks, m
>

>[ Did you check the archives?   http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/ ]

These are my complaints about DoCoMo service:

+ My major complaint is that the per-packet price, 0.3 yen / 128 bytes, is
very expensive.
Sending image data is extremely costly.

+ Also, I have some complaints about the implementation of Java iAppli  API
for DoCoMo and its overly
restrictive security model, but those are probably not apparent to most people.

+  NTT DoCoMo voice quality is barely acceptable.

+ NTT DoCoMo coverage does not work in most of the subway stations. This
sucks because
in central Tokyo, a lot of time is spent underground on trains. On the
other hand, it's considered
rude to use the phone on the train, but that shouldn't apply to train
stations (but maybe it does).

I believe PHS service does work in many subways, but PHS has
other drawbacks in terms of coverage.