(keitai-l) Sense of video on wireless phones (was:Re: i-motion Mpeg3)

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 07/19/01
Michael,

Thursday, July 19, 2001, you wrote:
> To me, however, a bigger question still looms.  Is video
> a mobile phone killer app?

actually this is a good question. I kept an eye on this
technology since a very long time and saw it fail several
times. Wireless video can be possible a chance for it, but
I am skeptical (even if I KNOW that the technology actually
exists).

Some food for thought:

If a phone rings, just pick it up and hold it on your ear.
You can be naked, undressed or nude and nobody will find
out. Very convenient.

If a video phone rings and you take a video call, people see
you actually. This can be good or bad, but the worst thing
is that you have to change your phone behaviour. A normal
phone just request that you talk in a microphone and hold a
speaker on your ear, you can eat, drink, stare into a
computer screen, write, dress yourself, undress yourself,
drive, drill in your nose, whatever at the same time.

With video phones you are limited. If you hold the phone on
your ear, people can see if you washed yourself properly. If
you want to use it as a phone, you have to stare in a screen
and you possible have to talk louder in a microphone, since
the v-phone is in front of you. A headset with microphone is
not an option here, since it is a separate device which
people tend to lose over time. Polite Japanese people don't
like to talk loudly, so they can not "hide" this phone
easily. So all the advantages of using a normal phone are
gone.

I wonder why people should give up habits they developed
the last 100years?

So what are the advantages of video phones...how about
underestimated business oriented schoolgirls? I am sure
that they find a new way of making money with this kind
of uplifting technology.

;)

Juergen
--