(keitai-l) Re: Docomo is Leaking E-mail Addresses

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 07/19/01
Curt Sampson wrote:
> Well, I finally changed the e-mail address on my phone to something
less
> obvious (katonokeitai@docomo.ne.jp--but don't use that: see below).
That
> process was actually a pleasure; you just fill in your preferred
choices
> in order on a form on a web page, and it comes back instantly telling
> you which one you got. The changeover appears to happen instantly.

...which is a pain if you want to send notifications to people still
using the old address during some transition period.

> However, it wasn't five minutes before I got my first spam. Obviously,
> the new e-mail addresses are being leaked as fast as they are
> created.

Or, someone else had that address before you and it has been recycled.
This is a known problem with Hotmail's recycling of addresses.  Maybe
DoCoMo, with a similarly huge user base, is showing the same problem.

> Possibly official partners get them and are leaking them somehow?
<snip>

In five minutes' time?  That hardly seems likely.