(keitai-l) Re: Sense of video on wireless phones (was:Re: i-m otion Mpeg3)

From: Luca Franchi <Luca.Franchi_at_helloNetwork.com>
Date: 07/19/01
"A day in the life of a video phone user"
What does that really entail?

It seems inevitable, as mobile devices continue their evolutionary path, one
day all users will be able to view audiovisual content at reasonable frame
rates as well as to engage in a two-way communication with multiple parties.
That sounds great to me (since it also means that the device can handle such
intense calculations and is meant for it).  Yet, there are a few concerns
with this scenario.  As Juergen points out, you might not want to be seen
naked, you might not want to be bothered while eating.  Privacy as mobile
users know today will seem a thing of the past.  But realize that mobile
devices are highly personal and will provide increasing customization
through the integration of complementary technologies.  If the end-user is
not considered in the design and usability of a device than I'm sure we
won't see high penetration rates nor acceptance.  It's a simple formula,
which has guaranteed success repeatedly.  What are the best ways to
communicate through such a device (vphone)?  There are professionals
counting the ways and ways right now.  It's true, "Polite Japanese people
don't like to talk loudly... so all the advantages of using a normal phone
are gone."  But aren't we missing something here?  We are looking at a
future scenario with today's perspective.  I assure you that in the next few
years interaction with mobile devices will change greatly.  We've already
witnessed the now-mandatory (EU and US) hands free auricular headsets, which
is a step in the right direction.  What will be next?  Who knows?  Bluetooth
headsets look promising but how many people will loose theirs (hopefully
you'll be able to locate it through the GPS in your phone)?  How many phones
will be converted to goggle / headsets?  How many individuals would like to
use a transparent screen an inch from their eye?  I am open to new ideas and
am always willing to try new devices, but the argument inevitably always
comes back to usability.  On the other hand, safety if you're communicating
while driving, such as a self guided car during videoconferences (only a
couple of years away from commercial release).

Video phones will drive the market to new heights, as Nick points out,
introducing new services and technologies that will try to capitalize on its
success.  Needless to say, perception is a driving factor of the adoption
rate.  Is it a TV phone or a communicational device?  (very similar to the
mobile internet and the web, not the same)  In the end, multiple factors
will push the industry to try new solutions, but one thing is for sure:  if
video phones are out today, we are one step closer to realizing our
fictional dreams, and one step closer to be able to own one.  Beware
impulsive consumers, make your decision wisely.  Video transmissions are the
holy grail for carriers after all (pricing model to change soon for sure).