(keitai-l) Re: Wireless internet usage rate plans!!

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/23/01
Avinash Harsh wrote:

> Hi
> I was looking for the rates for the usage of wireless internet through
> mobile devices.
> Is there any website or link which explains the pricing model in Japan and
> Europe for the usage of wireless internet.
> Regards
> Avi

Avi, DoCoMo's basic pricing model is:

- monthly fixed charge (voice only)
- additional monthly fixed charge for imode
- packet charges per data packet for
  imode use (no timed charges for data use)
- monthly subscriptions for premium content
  (in addition to the packet charges)
  (mcommerce)

The total pricing model is pretty complex, there are all sorts of
discounts for long-term subscription, heavy use, there are some
free minutes/data packet transfer included in the basic charge,
there are different plans with lower and higher basic charge etc.

In addition, there are some regional differences within Japan,
which have been recently discussed, and DoCoMo seems to plan
to keep the regional differences.

J-Phone's, AU's, H's etc pricing plans are different, and of
course there is a lot of competition also via the price - for
example AU has a special student discount.

As you can imagine, pricing models plays a major role in the overall
business success of imode.

It's interesting to hear that AT&T seems to plan to introduce
similar pricing models for imode in the US as DoCoMo/imode.

More about pricing models in our imode-faq:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/imode/faq.html

Wireless internet (based on WAP) in Europe on the other hand
is dial-up and charged by the connection time.

Best regards,

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/