(keitai-l) Re: [ot: SGI]

From: Chris Lowery <chris_at_onegoodwindow.com>
Date: 07/23/01
// Moderators Note:
// This topic is now way off topic. Please take further discussion
// of SGI offline unless relevant to keitai-l. Thanks.

Who says SGI had nothing to do with gaming 3D?

> I agree wholeheartedly. When Sony launched their first PlayStation

Let's start there. The PS1's CPU is a MIPS R3000. And you remember
who made that?

> Silicon Graphics (remember them) could have been a major player in the
> gaming market,

How? They were never a consumer products company. They had technology
though - anyone remember Project Reality? Who do you think developed
the 3D chipset for the Nintendo 64?

I used to know a lot of ex-SGI folks working at nVidia as well.
3D is a suck market. Too many brains, too much marketing,
not enough $ to go round. What went wrong? why didn't it take off?
Why was VRML such a joke? No, stop, I've heard it already. Anyway -

> 10 years later, companies like Sony and Sega and Nintendo
> have a combined market cap that's 10X of SGI's.

Combined? I'm willing to bet on the log scale it's closer to 1000x.

-chris.

--
Chris Lowery - Emergency Interface Technician - www.onegoodwindow.com
"doctor, heal thyself."