(keitai-l) Re: How Mobile E-mail Should Work

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/25/01
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> This may work for you, but keep in mind that the majority of users do not
> have their own mail-server and probably wouldn't even want to bother
> setting everything up as you described.

True enough. On the other hand, someone with a bit of entreprenurial
spirit could set up a commerical service to do all of this for a few
hundred yen a month. It could even provide POP/IMAP mailboxes for people
who don't have one at another place already, web-based e-mail, a large
selection of spam filters, ability to use your i-mode browser to see
what's come in your regular mailbox, and so on and so forth. I'm tempted
to do it myself, except that the "can't change your return address to
something outside of @docomo.ne.jp" problem has solutions that are too
"hackish" for ordinary users.

The e-mail-over-cellphone-web-browser option sounds nightmarish to
me. Editing messages on my keitai now is bad enough; I'd hate to be
doing it in an i-mode web form, much less a WAP one. And I'd also lose
the ability to read and compose my replies on the subway and then send
them all when I get outside again.

For the SMS option, I take it that most people, when they're just trying
to reach someone right away on another phone, would just send an SMS
message and ignore e-mail altogether? Is there a way to set it up so
that the SMS message would also get cc'd to my desktop mailbox, and
I could reply to it from there? This is, to my mind, one of the great
advantages of i-mode: since e-mail is e-mail, you can set yourself up
to deal with it on the most convenient device to hand.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws
of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.
                                             --Dave Barry