(keitai-l) Re: Japanese Toy Phones

From: Paul Lester <paul_lester_at_lincmedia.co.jp>
Date: 07/26/01
Hmmm do they really break like toys???

100% of my friends in the US have broken their keitai
(that's 3 people), but only a few (also about 3 but out
of 40) have succeeded in breaking their Japanese
cell phones and usually it takes a year or two, not a month
or two.

    I am great and breaking things.  My Japanese phone hasn't broken!
They look like toys, but toys they are not.

    And they cost like toys? YES THEY DO!
They are much much cheaper
than in the US and much better quality.  Wait, how
is better than US quality toys??????

I don't see your logic!  6 months ago I paid a penny for
a 16 harmony voice capable JPhone with a color
screen, internet access and email as well as being
a phone (and it came with a bonus headphone mike so
you don't have to worry about radiating your ears).

(But JPhone is notoriously slow compared to DoCoMo).

    My home country, the US is the one with toy phones.
The real ones are in Japan.  Don't bash Japan when its not
deservin it.  There's plenty of things to bash Japan about
but don't touch their cell phones!!!  If want to bash, bash the
concept of Dansonjohi.

A miniature thing is sometimes better than a bulky thing.

BTW, Japanese men do not get Hello Kitty bags at banks, do they?
I was given Dino the Dinosaur travel kits and a Doraemon savings bank!
My friends got world time clocks.

Which bank gives Hello Kitty stuff out?  Most banks give out
unisex toys and items like the ones mentioned about.

Curt Sampson wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:
>
> > > but now that the
> > >Japanese handsets have matured beyond their GSM counterparts,
> >
> > Have they ???
> >
> > They are designed as toys, look like toys, have features like toys, break
> > like toys.
> > No maturity there as yet, I'm afraid.
> >
> > The only area where Japanese phones really shine over European and US GSM
> > phones is battery life....
>
> Um....huh? Not just battery life, but how about lighter weight, bigger
> and better screens, better user interfaces, more software (calendar,
> calculator, whack-a-mole game), and so on.
>
> The weight (or lack thereof), particularly, makes a huge difference to me.
> To think that I once used to consider a Star-Tac to be small and light!
>
> Even after you pry my P209i out of my cold, dead fingers, you won't be
> able to fit on of those Ericson jobbies in it.
>
> As for the toyishness of them, well, after all, this is a culture where
> grown men are given Hello Kitty bags when they open a bank account. (And
> nobody keeps a phone long enough to worry about it breaking.)
>
> cjs
> --
> Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil
>
> Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws
> of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.
>                                              --Dave Barry

*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=*+*=
Paul Bryan Lester
LincMEDIA Inc
Layer-8 Technologies Inc
QA ENGINEER/Programmer etc etc