(keitai-l) Japanese Toy Phones

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/26/01
On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:

> > but now that the
> >Japanese handsets have matured beyond their GSM counterparts,
>
> Have they ???
>
> They are designed as toys, look like toys, have features like toys, break
> like toys.
> No maturity there as yet, I'm afraid.
>
> The only area where Japanese phones really shine over European and US GSM
> phones is battery life....

Um....huh? Not just battery life, but how about lighter weight, bigger
and better screens, better user interfaces, more software (calendar,
calculator, whack-a-mole game), and so on.

The weight (or lack thereof), particularly, makes a huge difference to me.
To think that I once used to consider a Star-Tac to be small and light!

Even after you pry my P209i out of my cold, dead fingers, you won't be
able to fit on of those Ericson jobbies in it.

As for the toyishness of them, well, after all, this is a culture where
grown men are given Hello Kitty bags when they open a bank account. (And
nobody keeps a phone long enough to worry about it breaking.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil

Basically, a tool is an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws
of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.
                                             --Dave Barry