(keitai-l) Re: Japanese Toy Phones

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 07/26/01
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Benjamin Kowarsch wrote:
>
> > > but now that the
> > >Japanese handsets have matured beyond their GSM counterparts,
> >
> > Have they ???
> >
> > They are designed as toys, look like toys, have features like
> > toys, break like toys.
> > No maturity there as yet, I'm afraid.
> >
> > The only area where Japanese phones really shine over European
> > and US GSM phones is battery life....
>
> Um....huh? Not just battery life, but how about lighter weight,
> bigger and better screens, better user interfaces, more software
> (calendar, calculator, whack-a-mole game), and so on.

Good UI, calendar and calculator seem to be standard features of
current Nokia phones in Europe.  I haven't felt the weight of a
Japanese phone so I couldn't compare that.  The screen is an
important area though it seems like some of the colour screens
on Japanese phones are a step back due to poor back-lighting
(back-lighting being a significant power drain).