(keitai-l) Re: What's wrong in Europe

From: Benedict Evans <inherent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/26/01
>The reason for 3G is that they wanted a broadband wireless
>system that could challenge broadband wireline,

That simply isn't true. Sorry. That might be a neat straw man to set up and
blow down, but only idiots like Forrester were ever saying that. Although,
3G is a fair bit better than dial-up...

>EDGE... Sure, it is a Japanese flavour of it, but it is operational and
>stable. 3G is not operational nor stable as yet.

GPRS was supposed to be deployed 18 months ago. It seems deeply implausible
to sugest that you can convert 'EDGE' from one network tehnology to another
with any less pain that was required to get GPRS to work.

Again, EDGE is NOT available for deployment in Europe today, and will not be
for at least a year, and it would not be operational and stable until well
into 2003 even if anyone did deploy it!

>And what about those in Europe who didn't get a 3G license ?

As I said: "The only people who *might* deploy EDGE are Blu and Bouygues -
but Blu will get bought by a 3G new entrant and Bouygues will get a licence
next year - so no deployment at all. "

All other 2G businesses got 3G licences (where they've been awarded so far),
with the exception of Telia in Sweden, who've done a deal with someone who
did.

>What if that 3G competitor delays their deployment and the trend is
> >heading elsewhere?

They won't have that luxury. Vodafone can afford to build anything it wants
as soon as it likes. So it will. And everyone else will have to follow suite
or lose their customers. The only delaying factor will be handsets - which
will affect EDGE even more, since will be few (or no) EDGE networks to use
them on. (And yes, I know about the US, but they'll be on a different
frequency)

>Western Europeans appear to become just as self-centered as they used >to
>criticise US Americans to be. If both only realised that the world >has a
>few more countries than they can spot from their ivory towers.

Oh, for heaven's sake grow up. This thread is entitled "What's wrong in
Europe". Yes?

>[WLAN]...especially as their entire business model is centered around
>broadband.

No it f*cking isn't! Try talking to them! Try listening to what they say!
Try looking at their projections! Even Orange, the people with a fill-time
'imagineer' on staff, only want to get 50% of revenues from data by 2010.

(sigh). Benjamin, you ought really to distinguish your opinions from facts,
and know the difference. And not accuse people of stupidity for holding
different opinions.