(keitai-l) Re: Japanese Toy Phones

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 07/30/01
On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, cfb wrote:

> > Oh, this kills me. Take a walk around Shibuya. You think phones are the
> > only item subject to fashion around here?
> >
> > These girls aren't even going to notice spending 20,000 yen on a phone
> > once a year. They're bying a new 60,000 yen Louis Vutton bag every
> > three months.
>
> Uh... yeah... and considering that these girls depend upon their cell
> phone to earn the money they spend on the Fendi/LV/etc. trinkets, it
> would be more correct to characterise this capital outlay (so to speak)
> as a "business expense".

You're thinking of quite a different kind of girl from a Shibuya girl,
I'm afraid. These girls are sixteen- to eighteen-year-olds spending
money from their parents and their arubaito (I guess...they've never
been terribly clear on where their money comes from when I've talked to
them) and just hanging out. Given that I live in Dogenzaka 2-chome and
work the other side of Shibuya-eki, I get a chance every day to practice
telling the difference between them and the hostesses and massage girls,
not that that's so hard to do.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil
	    "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain."