(keitai-l) Re: The usage of mobilephones among kids in Japan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 08/03/01
On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Graham Brown wrote:

> ("kids won't be able to write NEMORE, when they use texting all day!").

Well, that's certainly a noticable problem in Japan. It's not infrequent
that when I ask someone what the kanji for a word is, she grabs her phone,
punches in the hiragana, and scrolls through the character list to find
the character.

But it's not really keitai that did this; computers were really the start
of this problem. So now that we've finally reached the stage where even
a $100 PDA has enough CPU and memory to do direct kanji input, nobody's
interested because nobody knows kanji any more. :-)

But it's funny that being a proficient typist is seen as something
worth teaching in schools, but being a fast keitai-typer is seen as a
bad thing. I mean, if you spend all your time typing, you'd presumably
also lose the same amount of writing ability.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>  +81 3 5778 0123   de gustibus, aut bene aut nihil
	    "The chain which can be yanked is not the eternal chain."