(keitai-l) Re: New i-mode menu

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_morganstanley.com>
Date: 08/07/01
Andrea Hoffmann wrote:

> When looking at the Internet censorship discussion a few years ago and the
> position most ISPs took towards (not) censoring (website) content because
> they are not responsible for the content itself, I think that DoCoMo can
> also be seen as a typical Internet company by deciding not to actively block
> spam mail.

I disagree. With the exception of AOL, DoCoMo is much more than the typical ISP
just providing connectivity and an email address.

> I am also not sure if you can compare blocking of spam email with censoring
> content on the official i-mode menu. For the official menu, DoCoMo is more
> or less responsible for the quality and type of content (at least in the
> eyes of the consumers who see this as official content endorsed by DoCoMo).
> But the operator is clearly not responsible for any unofficial i-mode
> content and for i-mode email messages sent by people who are not employed or
> endorsed by DoCoMo.

The issue is, from the user's point of view, they're getting mail that they
don't want and DoCoMo is charging them for it. Remember most users are not
internet savvy. They don't know the difference between SMTP spam email and SMS,
they just get hit with a bunch of junk they don't want.

> If DoCoMo starts blocking spam, they might as a next logical step be asked
> to also block sexually explicit messages and any other mails containing
> "indecent" or illegal words. I bet by that time DoCoMo would loose a lot of
> the revenue that is generated by e-mail traffic.

Might also gain more customer loyalty by providing a safe/clean email
atmosphere, much like they do with the official menu...

Yahoo! has some excellent spam filters that the user can use/not at his/her own
discretion. Maybe that's a potential solution...I'm generally not for censorship
but I think spam is unforgiveable and I'm all for blocking all mass emails
except those explicitly opted-into.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

e-business technologies | engineering and strategy

"Connecting people, ideas and capital,
we will be the world's first choice
for achieving financial aspirations"