(keitai-l) Re: New i-mode menu

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 08/07/01
Ren,

> There's been some chatter about DoCoMo being more proactive about blocking
> spam, but DoCoMo's response has been "we don't want to censor/control
> contents"

[...]

> This is a perfect example of DoCoMo acting like a telecoms
> company and not an
> Internet company. David, any response? (^^)

When looking at the Internet censorship discussion a few years ago and the
position most ISPs took towards (not) censoring (website) content because
they are not responsible for the content itself, I think that DoCoMo can
also be seen as a typical Internet company by deciding not to actively block
spam mail.

I am also not sure if you can compare blocking of spam email with censoring
content on the official i-mode menu. For the official menu, DoCoMo is more
or less responsible for the quality and type of content (at least in the
eyes of the consumers who see this as official content endorsed by DoCoMo).
But the operator is clearly not responsible for any unofficial i-mode
content and for i-mode email messages sent by people who are not employed or
endorsed by DoCoMo.

If DoCoMo starts blocking spam, they might as a next logical step be asked
to also block sexually explicit messages and any other mails containing
"indecent" or illegal words. I bet by that time DoCoMo would loose a lot of
the revenue that is generated by e-mail traffic.

Just my two cents,

Andrea