(keitai-l) Free voice calls - really?!?

From: Marc Printz <Marc.Printz_at_724.com>
Date: 08/07/01
Hi!

I'm reading and hearing over and over again that telcos will
be moving away from charging for voice calls and that data in
the mobile space will be generating the bucks/euros/yens. I
still can't see how this will ever work and why telcos should
give away a service for free that is still and will ever be
the main interest/value for people carrying keitai. Please
convince me! I'm sure its possible. The other issue is that
voice calls will then be usable for free low-bandwidth data,
too (similar to covert channel), so there'll be interesting
new business models exploiting this?

Best regards
Marc