(keitai-l) Re: Sense of video on wireless phones (was:Re:i-motion Mpeg3)

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 08/08/01
>> Tape Walkman - CD Walkman   MD players - MP3 players.
>
>While I tend to agree with you, watching content on the big screen and
>watching it on a make-you-go-blind keitai screen are a far cry from tape
>walkmans and MP3 players, because the technology for audio devices got
>smaller as did the media, but in the case of keitai screens, they are
>getting bigger... for a reason. People don't like to look at small
>screens.

It's not just a matter of "like". Video content has a limit to where it
actually can scale down without loosing information. When you watch a TV
channel over the internet on you PC you will see that the smaller the
window, the more the content looses certain details. Details which might be
crucial to understanding the content.

Content like music video clips is perhaps less affected by this, but other
types of content that would normally be ideal for rush hour hima-tsubushi,
like news or sports do not scale down as gracefully.

This may mean content will have to be specially adapted to the small
format. But clearly there is a limit how far you can scale down, no matter
what content on video.

Years ago I have seen a slapstick in MAD Magazine where they showed
Eye-plugs similar to earphones, that would plug into or better over ones
eyes as a display device for a watchman. Now, if the industry comes up with
some kind of new display device, like a neuro-interface or a micro
holograph or whatever other approach might be there, possibly introducing
3D, that would remove a lot of obstacles video-on-demand over a device like
a mobile phone faces.

For the time being, where the display is likely to be a built-in screen of
some kind, those obstacles will be there and format will be an issue.

rgds
benjamin