(keitai-l) Re: Sense of video on wireless phones (was:Re:i-motion Mpeg3)

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 08/08/01
There's this argument that people can go to smaller screens because
people rented videos to watch on their (smaller) TV screens when
videotape arrived.

This argument misses at least one very important point.

When mass-market videotape arrived, virtually all TV watchers had
avidly watched movies on TV already.  Indeed, it was one of the most
popular "content" categories.

I saw the Wizard of Oz perhaps four times on black and white before
I ever saw it in color (on a color TV), and was an adult in my thirties
before I saw it as it was originally intended to be shown: in a theater.

Movies work on TV.  They always have.

But not even TV works on TV, when the screen falls below
dimensions that keitai screens haven't reached yet (sizes that
they may never reach in a handset form factor.)

To reiterate: I believe video on keitai will work, if it ever does, by
giving people home videos and wallet-photo animation -- i.e.,
amateur video products with admittedly crappy production values
that are more than made up for by the content's personal value
to the carriers and/or producers.

And porn, too, of course, as the technology driver, as always.
Of this I am increasingly convinced.

As Dave Barry says, "Men have an entire lobe of the brains
devoted to boobs."

And that lobe will suck all the impact it can out of a limited
number of pixels in a small frame, however fictionalized the
portrayal may be.  The usual rules of willing-suspension-of-
disbelief need not apply to that category.  (When have they
ever?)

-michael