(keitai-l) Re: Free voice calls - really?!?

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 08/09/01
>By-the-by, is there any new news on NTT's plans to drop the one-time
>charge to buy a phone line? Interestingly enough, I'd heard it was not
>wireless providers and the like that objected to this as much as the
>companies who buy large numbers of phone lines. They've apparently put
>all the phone lines on their books as assets at Y70,000 each or whatever
>it costs, and will have to take a huge writeoff if that charge is dropped.

Hasn't that been reduced lately ?

If you go to one of those phone line sellers, they offer lines now for
35000 and if you browse the ads in Tokyo Classified for "second hand lines"
they go for as little as 20000 (used to be 50000-60000).

If NTT is to abandon the charge, I believe they will have to gradually
reduce it over time.

rgds
benjamin