(keitai-l) Re: NoNokia (was: What does everyone like (was: Killer Apps))

From: Anders Lindh <alindh_at_flyerone.com>
Date: 08/12/01
>Assuming that the standards people also get
>their act together.  Maybe they have, with the
>New Improved WAP.

There's nothing wrong with the pre 2.0 specs. It's just
the current implementations that sucks. And by this I don't
just mean any specific WAP service, but the whole infrastructure
provided by telcos. Imode's popularity in Japan shows why WAP services
aren't that popular, and there are two important points. Lack of
packet switched networks (setting up a connection takes forever, and the
connection capacity is very limited). The second one is a sane pricing
strategy (who wants to pay a per-request fee of, say $1, to get the
latest news headlines. Not me). The first one is easily solved, but
how about pricing? Can telcos push prices enough to create large enough
demand? Most of European operators are heavily in debt...
This is also a big problem for third party service providers. Prices
(or provisions) that telcos collect are way higher than in Japan.

- Anders