(keitai-l) Re: Siemens to market VoIP via WLAN for use with PDAs

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 08/14/01
>  > Not actualy that interesting, really - they're just making the desk on
>your
>>  phone cordless.
>
>More than that, unless by "cordless" you mean "reachable
>in any office of the company anywhere in the world."

It's some kind of cordless with roaming. The line between wireless
and cordless gets blurred with this kind of technology.

>  > The issue is, you have to play nice with the mobile operator(s) if you
>want
>>  calls to the mobile number to get routed over your alternative airlink.
>>  Otherwise people need to have two numbers, and to heck with that.
>
>True enough for direct-dial, but lots of people *prefer* a human
>buffer, and once the call has reached the corporation in the
>first place, is there much that the telcos can do about where
>it gets switched internally?
>
>I don't want to carry two phones, but I would if my company paid
>for one of them and made me use it.  (Heck, even some freelancers
>have their "business" and "personal" mobiles.)

But that is the point. If you have a mobile, then you have already
got two phones when in a company environment. Just that one of those
in most places is stationary and bound to become cordless/wireless.
But instead of the intermediary step of a dedicated cordless device
it is likely to go directly to a more universal device many people
carry around already, which simply requires some extra software
installed.

For anybody who has got a PDA already, this means you actually get
rid of one device - the dedicated desktop phone. For those who
haven't got a PDA, it means they will swap their desktop phone for a
PDA, not too bad if you ask me.

regards
benjamin