(keitai-l) Re: Siemens to market VoIP via WLAN for use with PDAs

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 08/15/01
This subject line doesn't really match the content
anymore, but I have also no better ideas.

Some unsorted foods for thought:

* People who work in a coffee shop in Tokyo earn
  average 800yen/hour (Tokyo, Starbucks)

* Providing a 802.11b based network in a random cafe
  needs a maintainer.

* Who needs a PDA if you have already a new phone.

* The next generation of phones beat some PDA's easily.

* The main reason for people to visit cafe's is to drink
  cafe (or they are singles and watch out for somebody).

* Internet cafe's (with installed computers) are still
  popular.

* In several cafe's you can see "Please switch off your
  mobile phone" signs.

* Some people are pretty normal and not geeky at all.

* Japanese people tend to pay more for more convenience
  (Konbinis).

* Hackers and crackers will love the idea of having
  anonymous Internet access through 802.11b networks.
  (..yes, the guy in the corner was laughing all the
  time while he was playing this computergame...I saw
  something with "Pentagon" on his screen...and he had
  only one coffee in hours...)

* You don't need to go into a coffee with 802.11b networks,
  just be close by (in a car for example) to get free access:
  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/technology/archive/2001/03/22/freewireless.dtl
  Same was demonstrated in Germany by the Chaos Computer
  Club.

* Not everybody in Japan wants to call some buddies in
  Great Britain. Some even have no buddies in Great
  Britain and don't even speak English.

* More than 50% of all people living on this planet
  are female and have other priorities.

Regards,

Juergen
--