(keitai-l) Re: Siemens to market VoIP via WLAN for use with PDAs

From: Benjamin Kowarsch <benjk_at_mac.com>
Date: 08/15/01
>  > I should think that with having tens (hundreds) of
>>  thousands of girls in Tokyo who have little money and want
>>  to spend a lot of time talking on the phone, VoIP over
>>  WLANs would be gladly accepted as a cost-saving measure.
>
>Cost saving? There are cheap public phones out there...
>funny that nobody uses them anymore.
>
>See "the silent death of public phones":
>http://nooper.co.jp/showcase/gallery.php?s=9&l=en
>
>Also ever looked at an average random girls phone?
>These are HIGHLY personalized devices...not just a
>phone.

You just explained yourself why your argument doesn't apply:

Public phones:
stationary -> probably have to stand while using it = inconvenient
shared telco property -> not personalised, only a phone

WLAN VoIP (PDA/Game) device:
less mobile than cellular but far more mobile than a public phone -> convenient
cheaper than cellular, probably as cheap as a public phone -> cost saving
personal property -> highly personalised, not just a phone

regards
benjamin